Thursday, April 5, 2007

Pictures of fire damage

When I received an envelope today in the mail from my sister Lucy, I knew what it was. I was nervous and kind of shakey opening the envelope. And when I saw the pictures, I cried. And I cried so hard Rebecca got upset and she started crying. We hugged and cried together. To leave your home thinking you'll be returning home after work to relax, shower, watch a movie or go on the computer is a wonderful thought. But on that tragic day last week, Lucy's thought of returning home was shattered. While busy at work that dreaded phone call came saying, Lucy get home, your house is on fire. How she must of felt hearing those words. I can only imagine how she felt that day. Hearing those words and knowing her little dogs were in the house, hoping and praying someone got them out safely, hoping the fire department put out the fire quickly. Driving as fast as she could, the time seeming to take forever until she got home. Arriving home and seeing the house you called home engulfed in flames, and hearing the dogs never got out. As I sit here right now  writing this, I can feel the tears forming in my eyes and the lump in my throat. It breaks my heart knowing my sister, whom all our life was my best friend lost everything. Her furniture, appliances, brand new computer, pictures of her family, children and grandchildren, her clothes, shoes, jewelry, clothes belonging to her daughter Jenny and son Eric that they kept at their Mom's so they'd have nice clothes to wear. Lucy lost all memorabilia of her deceased daughter Sandy who passed away in September of 2003, and also lost those 2 precious little dogs. How much heart ache can one person endure? When she left her husband 7 years ago, she had only her clothes, pictures and her children and their clothes. For 7 years she struggled, moving 11 times, working long hours at any job she could find, chasing her husband down for child support, worrying about raising her kids alone, and keeping them safe. Keeping them fed and clothed, warm in the winter. Making their birthdays and christmas's special. Lucy did not and does not deserve to go through what has recently happened to her. She cries herself to sleep at night, not knowing what the future holds for her and her 2 youngest children now. Jenny and Eric have been sleeping either at their dad's, or one of their sister's, being Donna or Sharon's house. Lucy doesn't get the chance to say good night to them right now, or the kids sayingnight mom. She and her boyfriend were loaned a very small camper by a friend of Lucy's. They at least have some kind of roof over their heads, until hopefully one day soon they can find a place to call home again. I can only hope that she has blankets right now to keep her warm at night. Because for the next week it is going to be really cold at night. Well, I have said enough for now. I'm going to enclose the pictures now. Starting with Eric who is 13, then Jenny who is 15, the 3 pics of the place Lucy and her kids called home.

I thank god Lucy nor her boyfriend Joe nor the kids were in this house the day it burned. God Bless them.

 

                                     CINDY

21 comments:

  1. thank god above that none of them were home

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should send their story into the show where they rebuild houses for people who have been through tragedy.  Extreme Makeover House Edition or something like that.  I am so glad that your sister, her boyfriend and children are ok.  I am sad about the puppys too. Hugs and Prayers!Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SAD....
    LOVE YA,
    CARLENE

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES, YES, YES.....I vote for Extreme Home Makeover!!!!

    What a great idea!!

    ((hugs))
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Lucy would be an excellent case for the Makeover - why don't you contact them, its worth a try.  Thank god they were not at home that day.  Hugs, Terry x

    ReplyDelete
  6. God Bless them

    hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm praying that they will find a new home. God will provide for them some how and some way. I saw a couple people suggested Extreme Home Makeover, but you have to be a home owner I believe for that. Nice thought, but since she was renting the house it wouldn't really benefit Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is terrible what has happened to your sister I can remember how devasting it was when the same thing happened to my own sister when I was a child. Please give her my best wishes.
    Debbie xxx
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/drb1064/whatever

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cindy that looks awful ~ I do hope something can be done for your sister ~ I like the idea of that extreme makeover perhaps they would build something for her ~ Have a go at trying to make that happen ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pictures look horrible!  Thank God no one was home during the fire.
    Missie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank God it didn't happen when they were asleep. They could have gotten trapped inside.  
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Behind on journals as usual. I just read about your sister's house burning. How awful. I'm so sad for them. To lose it all.  Yes, they are things and most can be replaced, except the little doggies and the family memorabilia.
    I hope they can get something from the landlord.  If it can be proven that it was something he should have repaired, maybe they can.  Just wanted to pop in and say hello and tell you how sorry I am about the fire.
    Take care. Barb  

    ReplyDelete
  13. These pics are very scary. Makes the skin raise on my arms. I wish there was more we could all do. I can not imagine what Lucy is going thru and i pray she gets better housing soon so everyone is together again.
    Love you.
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just horrible, I am thankful they are all safe...hugs and love,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  15. those pictures are so scary. Just thank heaven that no one was there. I'm so sorry about the dogs though. How awful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so sad.  Thank God they weren't home.
    Hugs,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!!!  These pics are awful!!  I'm so sorry for Lucy, it's so much harder when you have kids you're responsible for.... God Bless her and her family!!

    Joann
    PreciousOne25

    ReplyDelete
  18. Will be praying for you sister and her family..so sorry to hear she is going through this but so thankful they were all unharmed!  Big hugs,TerryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found you through the giving tree.  I am also in VA, southern VA near NC right off I-85.  I don't know if she is anywhere close to here.  If she is please let me know and I will keep an eye out and pass along anything I can think of that will be of assistance.  I am going through my sons and husbands clothes to see if there is anything in there.  Please let me know what is needed.  I saw you mentioned boyfriend but I did not see any sizes posted for him.  Lots of prayers are being said.   I know all too well what she is going through losing everything of her daughters.  I lost my infant son to SIDS in 1995 and in 2004 I lost everything I had left of him including all my pictures, from hurricane damage.  I have managed to go on but there are so many days it just hurts so bad.  Please e-mail me with any information you know and are willing to share.
    Hugs,
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  20. those pictures are so sad to see
    i hope that she is doing ok and has warm clothes
    emily

    ReplyDelete